If you’ve been keeping up to date on our Facebook page the last couple of days, you will already know that I’ve been giving some tips on how to keep/make your big special day an Eco-Friendly one! While these tips are helping you to stay earth conscious, most of them are also helping you save on cash too! Double bonus right?! So with this morning’s theme of favours and gifts for your guests, here are a couple more earth friendly and actually useful options. Sometimes wedding favours sit on a shelf and don’t get used, if you use some of these great ideas, your wedding favours on the other hand won’t collect dust or cost you a fortune!
1. Plant all sorts of different succulents in shot glasses. You can purchase shot glasses or little jars at dollar stores or second hand stores. Succulents are super easy because they’re so low maintenance. You can plant them all 2 weeks before the wedding and they’ll be ready to go on the day of. Stick a toothpick or popsicle stick in the dirt with a small flag that says Thanks or your wedding date!
2. Head to your local garden centre and purchase a large bag of poppy seeds, or wildflower seeds and divide it up into small portions for each of your guests. You can make little pouches from recycled paper. You could also use small muslin bags from the dollar store to keep the seeds in. Add a cute little note like this couple did! Once your friends & family plant the seeds they will be reminded of you and your wedding every time they look in the garden!
3. Oh this one is great & fun! A fruit stand! So cheap for you to create on your big day. Buy fruits that are in season (this is so easy in the summer time). If you’re getting married in late summer/autumn you could purchase multiple kinds of apples from a farmer’s market. This couple created their own fabric totes for guests to carry their fruit home in. You could use brown paper lunch bags and paint or stamp your own message or names on the front. Have guests sample and grab a 1 or 2 of each to take home.
4. As someone who loves to cook with fresh ingredients I really love this particular favour idea. Herbs! Such an easy gift and I’m sure your guests will love it. (It’ll make your venue smell delicious as well!) Depending on the time of year you’re planning on tying the knot, why not get a garden going with all the herbs you’re going to gift. Cheapest gift yet. Instead of using plastic sticks like shown here, try using popsicle sticks or tying a ribbon around the pot with a small tag with your names on it and the type of herb.
5. This one is great because there is so much variety and so many options to chose from and again, so cheap! Get small clay pots and plant different trees or flowers in them. If you have a colour scheme for the wedding- stick to it! Chose only yellow flowers, or green like this couple did. Once again depending on the time of year your wedding is planned for you can begin the growing process of all these plants in your own garden. Harvest them and replant in small portions. I like that this couple chose mulitple different kinds of plants and trees, it will give variety to your favour table and all the guests’ tables. Burlap is a very cheap options to wrap the pots, but you certainly don’t have to wrap them, add a cute ribbon and tag and you’re all set!
So there you have it. 5 great wedding favour options that are eco-friendly and also good to your wallet. You could mix and match any of these ideas or change them up. Hopefully I’ve given you some fun ideas to play with. Stay connected on the Facebook page for 3 more days of Eco-Friendly Wedding Tips, and check out our Eco-Friendly Pinterest board!